Our general complaints procedure
We will always try and deliver a high quality and responsive service, but we appreciate that sometimes we may fall short of this goal giving you reason to complain and us an opportunity to learn.
The following note sets out how to make a complaint about the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation (EDC).
Types of complaint
You can complain about the service we’ve provided, including:
- if you are unhappy with the way we responded to an enquiry or the time that we took to respond (or if we didn’t respond)
- if you think that we have not followed a formal process or the law when dealing with a complaint
- if you think that any of our decisions did not take due account of the information available
- any incorrect action or failure to take action or investigate
- if we made inaccurate or misleading statements
- inadequate consultation or liaison
- any rudeness or offensive remarks
The following are not covered by the general complaints procedure:
- planning decisions and appeals
- government policy
- Freedom of Information Act or Environmental Information Regulations
- the decisions or actions of any other organisations
How to make a complaint
Complaints should be made in writing or by email no later than 3 months after you became aware of the problem, or should reasonably become aware of it.
When making your complaint, please include as much detail as possible, for example:
- the nature of the complaint
- the date and time to which the complaint relates
- the names of any EDC staff concerned
- what (if anything) you have done so far
- what you would like us to do to sort things out
Because we believe we should deal with you complaint as soon as practical we have a two stage process to deal with your complaint:
Stage One (informal)
- Complain directly and informally to the person you have been in contact with. If you have not already been in contact with someone or don’t know who to contact, please email email@example.com or call 03034442586.
- We will respond to your complaint within 15 working days of you making contact with us.
Stage Two (formal)
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome of Stage 1, you should send your formal complaint to the Corporate and Governance Lead, Nina.Shuttlewood@ebbsfleetdc.org.uk, North Kent Police Station, Thames Way, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 8BD.
- Your complaint will be logged and acknowledged within two working days of receipt.
- The Assistant Director of Finance will investigate your complaint and may offer to have a discussion with you to understand the issues you have raised more fully.
- You will receive a written response to your complaint within 15 working days of its receipt.
- You will be offered the chance to discuss in person the response to your complaint.
- In the event of EDC needing to take any action to remedy your complaint you will be kept informed of progress.
Reviewed by the Local Government Ombudsman
If after the above, you are still unhappy, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman to review the handling of your complaint.
The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771,
Tel: 0300 061 0614
Fax: 024 7682 0001